Sunday, June 19, 2011

the chalkboard obsession continues....

Chalkboard paint is everywhere these days, and I've jumped on the bandwagon. I'm not exactly sure what it is about it, but I think it adds a little touch of whimsy to everything you brush it on. 

I have chalkboard paint that you brush on and spray paint.Yesterday I used the spray paint to transform two Goodwill frames into little chalkboards. I did not take any before pictures (bad, Ashley) but I will explain the process you and show you my fun after pics!

1. I picked up two frames at Goodwill for $1.99 each. One had a Christmas print in it and the other had a lion picture. It doesn't matter what's in the frame, as long as it has glass and you like the frame. Then I removed the prints and took the glass out of the frames. 

2. Laying the glass on a piece of cardboard I spray painted several coats onto each piece of glass, waiting for the paint to dry between coats (doesn't take long). After I got my desired coverage, I left the pieces of glass on the cardboard in the garage for 24 hours.

3. After 24 hours I replaced the glass in the frame and using the side of a piece of chalk, rubbed chalk all over the surface of my new chalkboard. After you cover the entire surface you wipe the chalk off (I used paper towel) and it's ready to go!

Here they are immediately after replacing them in their frames:



Here is one getting the "rub down":



Here is the final product:



I am going to use one in my laundry room, and the other is for the wedding :)


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment